Friday, August 15, 2008

I am writing this while anti-drunk

Last weekend, Rowan was sick with a sore throat, so I left her behind to go see some of the sights with friends from our class.

We went to Plaça d'Espanya, which is in the general area of the structures built for the 1988 Olympics. The beautiful building behind us was built for the Games. Afterwards, they were going to tear it down, but they eventually gained some sense and turned it into a museum.In order from left to right, there is me; Claire, who is from Atlanta; Sinead, Chris, and Ed, who are from Britain; and Jenny, who is from New Zealand.

We then went and wandered through some of the parks. One of Rowan's complaints about Barcelona is a lack of greenery. The parks are few and far between, but the one's they have are quite nice. I was sorry she missed out on the park.On Sunday, Rowan was feeling a little better, so we decided to go out for dinner. Most restaurants are closed on Sunday, but we thought we would wander around and hope to find something. I really wanted paella, a traditional rice and seafood dish.

But after about forty minutes of wandering and no paella in sight, we settled for more sushi.This time, though, it was brought to us in normal portions by people, not a conveyor belt.

***

The two Columbian ladies have moved out, so we now have much freer access to the bathroom, another terrace, and a living/dining room.Also, one of our roommates and our landlady are on vacation. We are very happy to have more space and less people.

***

I have yet to find a good Barcelona beer, but I will keep looking. The beers come in a wider variety of sizes than back home.
No, my hand has not grown to gigantic size. The bottle is 25cl, which is about 9 ounces. A normal-sized bottle is 33cl. Someone told me that the bottles are so small so they don't get warm before you finish the beer.

They also seem to really like non-alcoholic beers. A couple of free bottles were attached to my 12-pack of real beer, and it isn't so bad. The flavors were tea with lemon, and apple. Both were quite refreshing.

We had tried the apple stuff before. Two weeks ago, some girls were giving out free samples in front of the department store near our school. We took about four samples each over the course of a day and a half. I think we actually became anti-drunk. I have never thought so clearly before. I was very close to solving cold fusion before the buzz wore off.

***

This last picture is for Kurt. It is of me and Rowan in front of a big prickly pear cactus, which they apparently have here.
Otherwise, Barcelona is nothing like Phoenix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

about the tiny beer: germans living in Cologne prefer their beer in tiny glasses. I'm told by my german friends this keeps the beverage cooler, or at least, it isn't so big as to get warm while you're drinking it.

The only problem I've found is not being able to gauge how many one has consumed. 13 tiny beers? 3 pints? Who knows!

Unknown said...

That's how they cheat with "I drank 20 beers" which ends up being like drinking a 6 pack or something!! Now we know the secret! Anti-drunk might be a cool new thing to get everybody doing... must be still as fattening? you get an anti-beer belly?! ;)