Saturday, September 6, 2008

Words, palabras, parole

Right now, we are watching The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe dubbed in Italian on one of the TV stations. A little weird, though the dubbing seems to work better for the animated characters, obviously.

Here is Rowan curled up on the couch actually understanding the words that are being said.Rowan and I just got done cooking a big Mexican meal for the family. It turned out quite good, and due to the lack of canned enchilada sauce, we got to make it homemade for the first time. Unfortunately, we did not speak in Spanish throughout the meal, so I had less of a clue about what was being said than while watching the dubbed movie.

Since we are in such a small town and there isn't a whole lot to do, we've had quite a bit of down time, which has been relaxing. I've actually had a chance to read for the first time in awhile.I'm currently re-reading In Patagonia. Rowan's host mom asked if it was in Italian, because "in Patagonia" translates to "in Patagonia" in Italian.

I have been reading the Italian-English dictionary, and sometimes I try to read the Italian TV guide. I am still quite clueless when people try to talk to me, though. The other day, the neighbor kid tried to talk to me, and I could only respond, "Non parlo Italiana": "I don't speak Italian."

To conclude, Rowan insisted on one more puppy picture. They are piled up on the welcome mat at the front door.Now, I'm off to grab a Poretti, a brand of Italian beer, to enjoy while watching the foreign film (foreign to here, that is).

1 comment:

Claire said...

oh man. Those puppies are so cute, they look like a big plate of gnocchi!! I like the blog, y'all shore have seen a lot in the past few months :)