Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Got my Mojokerto working

We were delayed a little while heading south to Mojokerto. Two of our party were supposed to meet us at a school in Surabaya, but got mildly confused while navigating the city's sprawl. Then, we had some difficulty finding the school we were going to, since it is set in the mountains up a small road and a ways from the nearest town.
Since we were late, the teacher in charge decided that instead of having our group of six teachers conduct activities together for the different classes (we were going to visit each class for twenty minutes), we should split up amongst the classes and do an hour-long lesson each. I ended up in a classroom with two local teachers.
"Okay, start teaching," they said.

"Ummm..." I said.

After a brief pause to think, I was able to work impromptu. I did alright, I think, and maybe I was able to teach the kids something.

The school is far different from where where we teach in Surabaya.Overall, it was a worthwhile experience, and I think I will look into doing some more volunteer work in the future, whenever the chance arises.

Afterwards, we grabbed some food at a nearby restaurant that also called itself the "Harley Davidson Club of Indonesia."I have not seen a single Harley since I've been here, though I sort of remember seeing a shop somewhere.

***

Here's a food pic. This is what some people consider "cheesecake" here.Yes, that is grated mozzarella on top of a frosted cake. This dessert was brought in for someone's birthday. I tried it; it was a little strange but not too bad. Both sweet and salty.

***

This coming weekend is a three-day weekend for us. So we are headed to Sempu Island (also, type the name into Google and check the images).

We are renting tents and going through the jungle for about an hour. We are carrying in all of our food, water, and alcohol. It should be an amazingly awesome rustic experience.

There are panthers on the island (according to Wikipedia, these are technically melanistic leopards, and therefore somewhat unlike the American cougar, whose existence in a black form are doubted by many biologists and zoologists), so in the morning I am going to buy a knife for protection.

No comments: