Thursday, August 5, 2010

Frugality and photos

Life back home has been good so far; I've had a chance to reconnect with people I've seen far too infrequently over the course of the past decade. Also, I have a little more of a mid-term idea of my plans: I'll be home at least through Labor Day. After that, everything is still in the "hmmm" stage.

***
I've been following a blog called the Frugal Traveler recently, where a man is exploring South America on a budget. In the most recent post, the intrepid adventurer's parents arrive, and he attempts to keep all of them on the same budget. This reminds me of the time I told my brother that some day we should go to Indonesia together and travel the way I traveled when I was there, and he looked at me and said, "At this point in my life, I don't feel like I want or need to do that." Then again, this was my same theory when I was in Dublin and avoided the hostels.

I guess my own theory while traveling would be to live to the very edge of my means, spending absolutely all the money I possibly can without doing long-term financial damage to myself. I know that when I put it that way, it seems a little dismal, but it does ultimately result in the most luxurious traveling possible, with luxury obviously being a relative term.

***
I finally got a new camera, so hopefully I'll start getting some new pictures up online. Now I just need to teach myself how to be a proper photographer.

No comments: