Thursday, July 24, 2008

A place for everything, everything in its place

We have been packing our bags the last two days. I organized my things in about 45 minutes; Rowan is taking considerably longer.

When I piled my stuff on the bed to see how I wanted to arrange my bags, I was a little shocked by how few things I am bringing. But I like to live light and travel light, I suppose.

After packing her bags, Rowan informed me that they were too heavy for her to carry, so I would need to carry half of her stuff in addition to all of my stuff. However, I think she will be unpacking the bags and repacking them less heavily this evening.

My back thanks her.

***

We've had our going-away party and I've said my goodbyes at work this week. Everyone has been amazingly kind and full of nice wishes. We would like to thank everyone for their support.

I think even the animals can tell that we will be leaving soon, and I don't think I am projecting my own emotions onto the dogs and cat.

The other night, Dither, who we rarely see, spent almost the entire evening with us as we packed. At one point, he shoved my hands out of the way and climbed into my duffel bag. He then stared at me in defiance, daring me to move him so that I could continue my work.
We leave in one day.

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Everything's going to be so expensive! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Barcelona is in the midst of a drought! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! What if we get robbed?! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! What if we get malaria in Indonesia?! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Actually, I jest. I still am not freaking out. We'll be okay. (Really, Mom, we will.)

No comments: