Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The preparation

Over the weekend, we did some hardcore shopping. Since goods in Europe are ridiculously expensive and we may be in a part of Indonesia where we can't even get some of the things we use on a daily basis, we thought we would stock up.

For example, Rowan bought, I think, 24 heads for her razor. I informed her that we don't even know if the women in Indonesia shave their legs, but she did it anyway.

We also purchased what should be close to a year's supply of sunscreen. And soon I will purchase a year's supply of contact solution, to go with the year's worth of contacts I've already purchased. When we were down in the Dominican Republic over Christmas, I noticed that a bottle of solution that costs $8 here costs $23 there, so I want to be prepared for a similar situation.

This weekend, we will try to get rid of a bunch of the stuff that we are not bringing with us. That's right, it's garage/yard/rummage/moving sale time! Hopefully we can make enough money to help make our trip more comfortable.

We leave in 16 days. Surprisingly, I am not yet freaking out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Surprisingly, I am not yet freaking out."

Aha, but don't pay the penalty for short-term sanity. If I read the gas blog correctly, too many people have been thinking short-term. It would be better to get a higher freak-out per day ratio now, instead of waiting until the cost of a single freak-out is too high. Higher FOE is needed (Freak-Out Economy).

However, my real purpose here was just to see how this blog comment thing works.

Cheers, Dixon

Marion Avrilyn Jones said...

Hi, there!
Thanks for the update.

Now all we need are pictures of the apartment!

Marion/Mumzie