Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Food and farming

One of the nice things about the neighborhoods here are the street vendors. People push carts of food through the streets and signal their presence with their own distinct call. I can hear the sound from the living room and run outside for some cheap grub.

So far, I've learned that the guy hitting a wood block sells nasi goreng (fried rice with chicken, eggs, and some cabbage) and the guy making the metal clanging sound sells tahu tek (tofu and potatoes with peanut soy sauce). Both meals are less than 60 cents.

I know there are coconuts and some other sweets, but I haven't figured out the sounds yet. I am compiling a list with descriptions to keep by the door for fast reference.

Eventually, I am sure I will start to salivate to certain sounds, sort of like Pavlov's dog.
(This is not Pavlov's dog, or even a dog, actually.)

***

This weekend, we are planning on heading south about 1.5 hours to visit an NGO that teaches organic agriculture to local farmers. They have an on-site organic restaurant and some bungalows to stay in, and they are scenically located at the base of a mountain. After our organic experiences in Italy, it should be an interesting excursion.

No comments: