Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Jetters"

He was here last week. I observed one of his classes and taught one for him. He seemed like an excellent teacher and a good guy. He answered all of my questions and was helpful and friendly.

And then today when I arrived at school, he was gone. He and his wife, who also taught with our company, left the country over the weekend, leaving behind some friends and all of the classes they were teaching. The schools had no warning, nor did any of the people who worked with them.

"He made a jetter," I was told when I came in. "It happens sometimes."

Rowan and I are one week in, and we have no inclinations of leaving before our contracts are up. Yet.

This coming weekend, we will (temporarily) leave the dirty chaos of Surabaya for the city of Yogyakarta, to the southwest.

We believe that if we can escape the city on the weekends, we can survive the weeks. And then we won't have to make a "jetter" ourselves.

No comments: