Friday, November 7, 2008

More consumables

In the previous post, I mentioned eating a fruit that tasted like dirt. It may have been the worst thing I have ever tried to eat.

However, I did not then throw away the remaining pieces of the fruit, but (unwasteful guy that I am) put them back in the fridge in the hopes that they would taste better a week later. Here is the anticlimactic result of the second taste test.

Later, though, I did discover some fruit that was still unripe. Of course, Rowan demanded that I eat it while she videotaped.

After she shut off the camera, I immediately ran to the fridge and ate a pile of dried dates to sweeten up my palate. I will buy the fruit again, though, since I can now tell how soft it needs to be to be eaten.

The other day while we were leaving the supercheap and amazingly useful Indonesian grocery/department store around the corner from our house, I bought this thing from a street vendor.I thought he called it pika, but the only pika I could find on the internet was this. I hope it wasn't that.

The snack was radioactive green in color (somewhat similar to the mint granite we had in Italy), and its taste could best be described as a cross between jello and a pancake. It only cost 20 cents, so I may try it again. (I think there was a chocolate version, or at least a brown version; I think the flavor I tried might have been young coconut.)

***

This weekend, we have decided to go to Malang instead of Yogyakarta (the train and bus schedules were a little more favorable). We leave at about 9am and hope to be there shortly after noon.

Malang also has an EF school and is where we initially wanted to be instead of Surabaya. My students keep telling me it is cold there. I don't think they truly understand cold.

We are going down there with all of our roommates and some other friends from school. Hopefully a manageable amount of adventure awaits us.

1 comment:

~*~Rowan~*~ said...

I'm sorry I made you eat the dirt fruit again for purely comedic reasons. I've just never seen you react so strongly to something you ate before. Please forgive me:-)