Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bathrooms and bowling

After class today, I went into the bathroom to attend to my eye. I had tried wearing my contacts again after about six days of wearing my glasses and regularly applying anti-viral cream, but over the course of a day-and-a-half, it looked as if the virus was trying to make a comeback. My younger students asked me if I had been punched in the eye.

A student who was also in the bathroom asked why I was applying the cream to my eye. He then informed my that the Javanese believe that a swollen eye is a punishment handed down to those who peep, and that it is a physical manifestation of sin. I swear that, for me, this is not the case.

***

On another bathroom note, I'm pretty sure that the little kids at our school who are too short to use the urinal just stand in front of the urinal and pee on the floor beneath it.

***

I'm going bowling tomorrow! I have no idea what an Indonesian bowling alley is like. Details and pictures will follow soon.

No comments: