Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Strange happenings in the haunted land

The people here love horror movies. And many Indonesians believe in ghosts. When I ask my students if they believe in ghosts, they say yes. But except for one or two, none of them claim to have seen a ghost, though they say their grandparents tell stories.

But Rowan and I had a strange experience about two months ago.

We were sitting in the office researching some vacation ideas on the computer, which is about six feet from the door to the bedroom. It was about 11 at night. We heard the door slowly opening. "Yes?" I asked as we turned around to look. We both saw--or thought we saw--a hand on the door handle and a woman's face.

The door closed quickly but smoothly, and soundlessly. I jumped to my feet and sprinted to the door, opened it, and ran into the kitchen. No lights were on, and no one was there.

Our kitchen is reasonably large, and it would have been impossible for someone to have gone from our bedroom door and out of the house in the time it took me to reach the kitchen. Especially impossible to do so without slamming the doors shut on the way out.

I went back to our room, where Rowan and I confirmed that we had seen the same thing.

We haven't had any other strange experiences, except for the lights occasionally shutting off in the kitchen, though this is probably more the result of living in a poorly built house in a developing country than the trickery of ghosts. I would be much more concerned if the lights were turning themselves on instead of off.

But we are still searching for an explanation of what we saw that one night.