Monday, March 29, 2010

Island weekend

We spent the weekend on Koh Si Chang, a small island within easy striking distance of campus. Our total cost per person to get to the island: about $2.70. I love how cheap some things are in Asia.
The island is nice because it isn't very touristy at all, and the tourist who do come are mostly Thai. We went to the beach one day, and spent our time kayaking and snorkeling. I did see one fairly large fish that scared the shit out of me. (I'm not sure what it was, but it sure looked a lot like this.)

The next day we saw some of the island's culture: old palace buildings and other old stuff. Then it was time to head back.

I know the weekend doesn't sound too exciting here, but it was relaxing and fairly interesting.

Next up: In under two weeks is Songkran, an important national holiday. We'll be heading to another beach for more beachy fun. Yes, it is a tough life I live.

***

More photos can be found here.

Lastly, one interesting thing about the island is that the squirrels there are white. I have no idea why.

No comments: