Monday, July 12, 2010

To the cliffs

I was going to go to the cliffs on Saturday, but when I woke up it was so foggy that I could barely see the trees in the courtyard, which are only fifteen feet away. Instead I spent the day inside and then, somehow, ended up at the pub later. They had a musician playing and for the last song, she played the Irish national anthem. Everyone stood at attention and listened. I can't imagine this happening in America.

On Sunday, the weather was finally good and I made it out to the cliffs of Moher (pronounced "more," not "mohair," as some foreigners occasionally make the mistake of saying).
The views were quite stunning and the cliffs were free to visit, as I feel most natural attractions should be. (This one didn't have much staff or too much infrastructure to maintain.) Although it was drizzly, the visibility was good. I went for a decent walk past this sign.
I was going to turn back at first, but everyone else was doing it.

***

This sign was posted in the town square.
The price isn't as strange as it appears; it is the equivalent to 1000 Irish pounds. However, the Irish pound hasn't been used in eight years. Perhaps it's time to adjust the fine amount.

No comments: