Saturday, June 12, 2010

The cup runneth over with excitement

As you may be aware, the World Cup has just started. Apparently, this is a very big deal outside of America. The dive shop installed satellite TV yesterday basically for the purpose of watching the football (soccer) games.

Several of the employees have already given in to the fact that they won't be sleeping much for the next month. The main problem: because of time differences, some of the games start very late. I'll be watching the US/England match tonight, and it starts at 2:30am.

I've been doing my best to get up to speed on the whole concept. (Slate has some decent coverage for us ignorant Americans. Of course, ESPN is also a great source.)

Even if America fails to go far, I've decided to root for Spain. My reasoning: 1) They are one of the favorites in the tournament; and, 2) I've actually seen some of the players live, when I watched FC Barcelona in Spain.

So even though I'm on the opposite side of the world, I'll be rooting for America to score some GOOOOOAAAAALLLLLSSSSS!!!!!

No comments: