Monday, June 7, 2010

Making a splash

I'm currently in the midst of a scuba diving course. I figured it would help fill the large amounts of free time I have right now. And since I'm not spending money on much else, why not? (Even though there are no ATMs on the island, I can pay for the course with my credit card, so it's not dipping into my limited cash supply.)

The course is going well. It's just me one-on-one with an instructor, and he's a good guy and a good teacher. I'm doing okay on the skills I'm learning, but I'm pretty bad at swimming underwater with the fins and gear. This bothers me slightly, since I'm used to just being instantly great at everything. But hopefully I'll get better with practice.

The dive shop is right next to where I'm living, so I've spent some time hanging out and getting to know the people who work there. This should make the time pass a little more smoothly when my roommate, Rob, leaves for a week, and I'm left with no one I actually knew when I arrived.

In exactly two weeks I head to Ireland. Interestingly, tonight I'm about to visit to a going-away party for two Irish people I've met at the dive shop. Unfortunately, we can't celebrate the Irish way with good beer and mountains of potatoes (and pots o' gold and rainbows), but I do have some of my high-quality imported Thai rum/whiskey with me, so we can do a wee bit o' celebratin'. (Because of the high cost of alcohol here, the only drinks I've had in Malaysia were the one night when Rob and I drank the other bottle I brought with me from Thailand.)

And then in the morning I get to do some swimming endurance tests for the scuba course. Excellent.

No comments: